Sunday, November 8, 2009

The Hustler

It's interesting. Ever since his passing last year, I've seen four movies featuring Paul Newman just this year (two I've previously reviewed). And I'll admit I haven't seen any of his movies before he died. Anyway, onto the review.

"Fast Eddie" Felson (Newman) is a small-time pool hustler with lots of talent and an ego to match. After losing a match with the legendary Minnesota Fats (Jackie Gleason), he has a difficult time regaining his confidence. In the process, he gains a girlfriend Sarah (Piper Laurie). He becomes desperate and falls victim to ruthless and cutthroat manager Bert Gordon (George C. Scott) to help him get back on top.

I really liked Newman's work in this. But I was really impressed with Gleason's role. I mean, one minute he's Ralph Kramden on The Honeymooners, next minute he's Minnesota Fats. Overall, a very goo movie.

My Rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. One of Newman's greatest roles, possibly behind only "Hud", which I can't recommend strongly enough if you haven't seen it yet. My personal favorite alltime Newman flick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A marvellous film is enhanced by a superbly sleazy jazz score (Kenyon Hopkins) and the violence is all the more gut-wrenching for being suggested, rather than shown.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.