Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Treasure of the Sierra Madre

Boy, this was an interesting year for me so far. I have seen five movies featuring movie icon Humphrey Bogart (I'll let you guess which ones). Definitely a versatile actor too. I mean, he goes from gangster (Angels with Dirty Faces) to film noir (The Maltese Falcon) to romance (Casablanca, Sabrina) like that. Anyway, onto the review.

Fred C. Dobbs (Bogart) and Bob Curtin (Tim Holt) are two men down on their luck in Mexico. After getting scammed, they meet with grizzled prospector Howard (Walter Huston) and join him on his next expedition. It start off well but the expedition takes a negative turn when greed and jealousy seep into Dobbs' mind.

So far, this is one of my favorite movies I've seen this year. Bogart was great, though I'll admit he started to creep me out a bit after his character had only gold on the mind. John Huston's direction was good and his father Walter earned his Oscar fair and square.

My Rating: *****

1 comment:

  1. Its one of the movie which have good story to show audience.John's direction deserve credit f the film.All the charcters know their work and done that superbaly.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.