Saturday, June 5, 2010

Favorite Movies by Favorite Directors

The premise of this post is obvious by the title. I just name my favorite movies that are directed by filmmakers I highly appreciate. I'll also mention other movies I've seen by them.

The Director: Martin Scorsese
The Movie: The Aviator
My Reasons: As I stated on my list of desert island movies, I really love this movie for Leonardo DiCaprio's performance. He gives a powerful yet emotional performance as the mad innovator Howard Hughes and it's my favorite role of his.
Other Films: Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Raging Bull, Goodfellas, Taxi Driver

The Director: Billy Wilder
The Movie: Some Like It Hot
My Reasons: As I stated several times before, this is my favorite Billy Wilder movie because of one thing: it's funny. I literally doubled over from laughing so much, especially from the famed closing line.
Other Movies: The Lost Weekend, The Apartment, Sunset Boulevard, Stalag 17, Double Indemnity, Sabrina

The Director: Sidney Lumet
The Movie: 12 Angry Men
My Reasons: It's really rare to see a directorial debut become the best-known work of a director. Sideny Lumet is one of the few exceptions. Tense story, fine acting and skilled directing makes 12 Angry Men one movie not to avoid.
Other Movies: Murder on the Orient Express, The Verdict, Network, Dog Day Afternoon, Serpico, Long Day's Journey into Night

The Director: Tim Burton
The Movie: Ed Wood
My Reasons: I particularly like this over the other ones I've seen mentioned below because it's not bizarre and/or quirky. I like it because it's real. And the fact that Johnny Depp plays one of the most optimistic characters ever shown on the silver screen makes it all worthwhile.
Other Movies: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Corpse Bride, Mars Attacks!, Sleepy Hollow, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, Batman Returns, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

The Director: Alfred Hitchcock
The Movie: Psycho
My Reasons: Oh, as if this didn't scared the bejesus out of you. It messed me up like no other and that's why I love it.
Other Movies: The 39 Steps, Rear Window, Vertigo, Spellbound

The Director: Elia Kazan
The Movie: On the Waterfront
My Reasons: The impact On the Waterfront has had on film is outstanding, as with the movie itself. Marlon Brando delivers his best performance as the conscience-striken Terry Malloy and acts alongside a stellar supporting cast which includes Rod Steiger, Lee J. Cobb, Karl Malden and Eva Marie Saint. Just watch the prolific taxi cab scene and you'll know why it left such an impact on Hollywood.
Other Movies: A Streetcar Named Desire, Gentleman's Agreement, East of Eden

The Director: Clint Eastwood
The Movie: Mystic River
My Reasons: Strong story + superb directing + bravura performances = one helluva movie. And that's what Mystic River is.
Other Movies: Invictus, Million Dollar Baby, Unforgiven

So there are mine. What are yours?

1 comment:

  1. I've done a post with my choices on my blog at: http://syd-film-blog.blogspot.com/2010/06/favourite-movies-by-favourite-directors.html
    I also chose Tim Burton and Alfred Hitchcock but picked different movies. Great choices and a great idea for a post - maybe next you could have worst movies by favourite directors, or worst movies by worst directors!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.