Tuesday, August 24, 2010

31 Day Movie Meme

So there's this meme floating around the interwebs. I feel like doing it, just not in a 31 day period. I'm not the only who did the whole meme in one day.

DAY 1: Sequel that should not have been made
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. I was so looking foward to this and was left disappointed. I want a refund, Spielberg.

DAY 2: Movie you think more people should see
Quiz Show. One of the underrated gems from the year dominated by Pulp Fiction, Forrest Gump and The Shawshank Redemption.

DAY 3: Favorite Oscar-nominated movie from most recent ballot
Up in the Air. I'm starting to like Jason Reitman's work. I can't wait to see his next movie.

DAY 4: Movie that makes you laugh every time
The Apartment. It has the right mix of sincerity, sweetness and humor.

DAY 5: Movie you loathe
The Benchwarmers. I pratically felt my brain cells getting killed while watching it, it was so stupid.

DAY 6: Movie that makes you cry every time
WALL-E. No explanation needed if you saw it.

DAY 7: Least favorite movie by a favorite actor/actress
Jack Lemmon in Save the Tiger. He was good, the movie...not so much.

DAY 8: Movie that should be required high school viewing
Kinsey. This has everything you wanted to know about sex, but were afraid to ask.

DAY 9: Best scene ever
The taxi cab scene from On the Waterfront. It just sums up why it's been a classic for years.

DAY 10: A movie you thought you wouldn't like but ended up loving
High Fidelity. Since I had read the book beforehand, I was thinking it was gonna be the same. Not true. The movie has its own charm that's different from the book.

DAY 11: A movie that disappointed you
Public Enemies. My review alone sums up why I was left underwhelmed.

DAY 12: Best soundtrack/background music in a scene
"Married Life" from Up. It gave the montage an emotional wallop.

DAY 13: Favorite animated movie
The Nightmare Before Christmas. Who said animated movies are for kids? Apparently not Tim Burton.

DAY 14: Favorite movie in black and white
Ed Wood. Since it's set in the 1950's, it seems appropriate it's in black and white becuase it gives the movie a nogalistic feel to it.

DAY 15: Best musical
Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street. I'm not really a fan of musicals, so I went with this.

DAY 16: Your guilty pleasure movie
In Bruges. Like I stated in the review, I nearly barfed from the violence towards the end of the movie. And yet, I liked it.

DAY 17: Favorite series of related movies
Batman. Not the Joel Schmacher-directed ones, just the ones directed by Tim Burton and Christopher Nolan. They made the comic book genre gritty; Schmacher not so much.

DAY 18: Favorite title sequence
Catch Me If You Can and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. They would make Saul Bass proud.

DAY 19: Best movie cast
Inception. Leonardo DiCaprio, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard, Ellen Page, as well as several Nolan alums. Need I say more?

DAY 20: Favorite kiss
The kiss of death in The Godfather Part II and the reuniting kiss in Brokeback Mountain. One full of love, one full of hate.

DAY 21: Favorite romantic couple
Jack and Ennis from Brokeback Mountain. The relationship has sort of a Shakespeare feel to it: a forbidden romance that ends in tragedy.

DAY 22: Favorite final scene/line
Some Like It Hot. "Daphne" is trying everything to get out of her engagement to Osgood and ultimately ending with the revealation that she's a he. That leads to the funniest closing line in movie history.

DAY 23: Best explosion or action scene
The Death Star blowing up in Star Wars. 'Nuff said.

DAY 24: Quote you use most often
"Well, nobody's perfect" from Some Like It Hot. It fits into my daily life, so there.

DAY 25: A movie you plan on watching (old or new)
Saving Private Ryan. I want to see it, but I don't have enough time to watch it.

DAY 26: Freakishly weird movie ending
The Prestige. Was tempted to go with Inception, but this is a million times freakier.

DAY 27: Best villian
Amon Goeth from Schindler's List. Truly one of the scariest performances I've seen in a long, long time.

DAY 28: Most over-hyped movie
Citizen Kane. Sorry, movie buffs, I'm not crazy about it as you are.

DAY 29: Movie you have watched more than ten times
50 First Dates. This was before I became a movie snob, mind you.

DAY 30: Saddest death scene
George from A Single Man. It left me depressed throughout the rest of the day.

DAY 31: Scene that made you stand up and cheer
Andy's escape in The Shawshank Redemption. What else?

Boy, that was annoying.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Anna, glad you're doing the meme, too. I only have time to do some of them, not all 31 days. Hey, we have the exact same movie for the first one. Yeah, it was downright terrible, especially the ending.

    Totally agree with #11. I went in thinking I would love it (I mean Bale and Depp in a Michael Mann's movie??) Alas, it was disappointing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree about "The Prestige's" ending being more baffling than "Inception." However, I have only seen "Prestige" once, so perhaps with more viewings my understanding and appreciation will grow.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.