Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Milk

I try to avoid movie focusing on heavily debated subjects (ie, gay rights, capital punishment) because I know if I bring up the movie it'll start a heated discussion. But if the movie is one of the best-reviewed movies of its release year, then I'll see it.

Milk chronicles the career of openly gay politician Harvey Milk (Sean Penn). His acts to get gay rights in San Francisco garners not only respect and friends, but also more than a few enemies.

Penn delivers a strong performance as Harvey Milk. He acts alongside a stellar supporting cast which includes Josh Brolin, Emile Hirsch, Diego Luna and James Franco. The movie made my views on gay rights strengthen a bit. As I've stated a few times before, I'm for gay rights. And Milk opened me to the background of the movement.

My Rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. Diego Luna is the best part of that movie. Also, I was kinda relieved that Josh Brolin replaced Gus van Sant's muse, Matt Damon as Dan White. I know Matt Damon's 40, but he doesn't look it, and Sean Penn vs. Matt Damon would be like watching a grown man fight a boy.

    I don't think Sean Penn's performance was seamless, since Sean Penn was seeping into his Harvey Milk character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i still need to see this movie. and i actually like movies that spark debate.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.