Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Up

As I said before, when I need an animation fix I rely on Pixar to give a good time.

Grumpy widower Carl Fredrickson (Ed Asner) is forced into a retirement home after accidentally injuring a construction worker. But on the day he's suppose to move, he and his home fly away by thousands of balloons. His main destination is Paradise Falls, a locale he promised his wife they would visit. Carl finds that he's not alone; Russell (Jordan Nagai), a young Wilderness Explorer, had snuck onto the house before takeoff.

Can I just say something? If you don't get a little emotional during the first ten minutes, you have a heart of stone. Anyway, back to the review. Pixar always hits the right notes for an entertaining movie, and this is no exception. I think from time to time that Pixar makes movies aimed at everybody, not just kids. For those who have seen "The Mary Tyler Moore Show", it seems appropriate that Asner was cast as a cantankerous old man ("You got spunk. I hate spunk!"). The Michael Giacchino score fits for every scene, especially for the first ten minutes as mentioned above. Overall, Up is one not to be missed.

My Rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. Up really succeeds in grabbing you from the first instant thanks to that super nostalgic and touching introduction. Great Pixar animation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cried during this film. Enough said...... Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.