Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Requiem for a Dream

After seeing The Wrestler, I wanted to see what else Darren Aronofsky had to offer. That was found in his most prolific (and disturbing) work Requiem for a Dream.

Sara Goldfarb (Ellen Burstyn) is a lonely TV-obsessed widow who has recently started taking diet pills. Her son Harry (Jared Leto) and his friend Tyrone Love (Marlon Wayans) make a living by selling heroin. Harry's girlfriend Marion (Jennifer Connelly) is a suffering cocaine addict. Their lives are connected through addictions and downward spirals.

My God. The climax of Requiem for a Dream had me moved to tears, something that never happens when I watch a movie. I knew that Aronofsky can get intense with his movies just from seeing The Wrestler. Requiem for a Dream practically puts the intensity of The Wrestler to shame. I don't know what's more of an insult: Burstyn not winning the Oscar or Burstyn being the only thing that got Requiem for a Dream Oscar recognition. There are so many things from the movie that should have gotten some recognition but didn't. Jay Rabinowitz's editing, Clint Mansell's score, Aronofsky's directing, the screenplay by Aronofsky and Hubert Selby, Jr. (whose novel the movie is based on), all of these got no love from Oscar. Requiem for a Dream has been dubbed as a movie you can't watch twice. Who knows? I, for one, might watch it again.

My Rating: *****

5 comments:

  1. Great review. Might watch it again sometime.

    Totally agree in terms of Oscar. How this movie got snubbed in every category aside from Actress baffles me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Burstyn's loss is one of THE most atrocious decisions in Oscar history. This is one of my favourite films (I once watched it twice in one day...it was rough)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm one of the ones who doesn't really want to watch it again. Glad you dug it - it's one of the most intensely amazing films I've ever seen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post I just did a write up on this last week over at my site. Very personal film for me.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.