Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Brief Encounter

Before he made epics such as The Bridge on the River Kwai and Lawrence of Arabia, David Lean made movies that were under two-and-a-half hours long (would you believe it?).

At a train station cafe, housewife Laura Jesson (Celia Johnson) meets doctor Alec Harvey (Trevor Howard). Although both are married, they gradually fall in love. They continue to meet every Thursday at the cafe, although they know that their love is impossible.

Considering the most prolific movies by Lean are male-centered, it was refreshing to see one of his movies with a female lead. The chemistry between Johnson and Howard is very romantic, almost getting up there with Bogart and Bergman in Casablanca. I have to admit I got a little emotional from a few scenes, especially towards the end. Still, I like Lean's epics a hair more.

My Rating: ****1/2

2 comments:

  1. I'm happy to follow your blog especially because of the reviews of old movies, as I'm not acquainted with them very well. This one goes to my watch list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is on my top 20 films of all time, adore it.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.