Saturday, October 29, 2011

Scream

It's obnoxious. The more popular a contemporary movie is, the least likely I would have seen it.

Wes Craven's Scream is no exception. (Yes, I hadn't seen it before. Get off my case.) By all accounts, this is one of the few horror movies in recent years that's effective. Most horror movies that reference ones in the years past tend to fail in spectacular fashion. (Remember the Scary Movies?) Fortunately with Scream, it works.

Of course the matter of horror and comedy fused together for one movie is a tricky one to tackle. Fortunately, Craven makes it work in Scream. After all, this man brought the horror genre back from the dead. (Also love the cameo of his where he's conspicuously dressed as Freddy Krueger.)

Scream, as I mentioned before, is one of the few horror movies in recent years that's effective. It gets a little silly in some parts, but I still like it. If you haven't seen it, what the hell are you waiting for?

My Rating: ****

2 comments:

  1. Not only is it funny and a slasher fans wet dream, but the opening scene is one of the best and scariest in slasher history. I've never cared so much for a slasher's victim as I did for Drew Barrymore in that scene. And Randy the film geek rocks. Just maybe not bother with the sequels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Completely agree (with both of you), the opening scene to this movie changed the modern landscape of horror cinema. No one is safe. Love it.

    And yeah, everytime I watch this flick now, I laugh my ass off. I think it's a great horror film that is genuinely hilarious.

    Interested in the sequels? I love 2, 3 is okay, 4 is horrible.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.