Friday, December 30, 2011

The Pink Panther

Since his passing last year, I managed to catch up on Blake Edwards' work. This year alone, I saw Operation Petticoat, Victor Victoria and Breakfast at Tiffany's.

I also saw what is considered Edwards' best known comedy: The Pink Panther. I wouldn't generally say that it's his best comedy, period. (That probably goes to Victor Victoria.)

The cast for The Pink Panther is recognizable by my standards. It stars David Niven, Capucine, Claudia Cardinale, Robert Wagner, and, of course, Peter Sellers. No surprise that Sellers is the focal point here, but he did have more leeway than the others.

And knowing Edwards' sense of humor, I knew what to expect. Basically it involves a somewhat silly concept getting blown out of proportion. Look, after a while, you start picking up small things.

To sum things up, The Pink Panther is entertaining but it gets too silly in parts. Also, the movie starts losing steam when Sellers isn't on screen. But if you need something to watch as a means of relaxing, The Pink Panther is the way to go.

My Rating: ****

2 comments:

  1. I missed this screening at uni last year when we were looking at Edwards works (though I managed to see the rest of them!) The only film of Edwards I would go so far as to not recommend would be Darling Lili, though I have no idea if you had plans to watch that. Loved Victor/Victoria and S.O.B. and I've been looking for a chance to catch up with his other works too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Speaking as a hard core Edwards fan, trust me when I say that you can do a lot worse than Darling Lili. A lot worse. And a lot better as well.

    See A Shot in the Dark next. And, in the non-Panther realm, The Party is a must. Ruth mentioned S.O.B. and that one is too.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.