Saturday, May 5, 2012

The Avengers

I'll admit I'm not much for superhero/comic book movies. However, I do like them in a similar way to animated movies in that they're a good way to let your mind go numb. That, and my inner tomboy gets the better of me at times.

Now Joss Whedon's The Avengers looks like the typical comic book movie, complete with awesome explosions and a star-studded cast. Technically it is, but it's so much more than that. It's a step up from that stereotype in fact. The reason? The script.

I'll admit I've never seen any of the shows Whedon worked on or every one of the Marvel movies (all I saw were the Iron Man movies and Thor), but it didn't tamper my viewing experience. It may have helped if I had, but I don't really mind. Oh well, extra homework for me!

Speaking of the cast, it's awesome. Scarlett Johansson and Jeremy Renner are completely badass. Mark Ruffalo is great in his role, displaying the troubled side of Bruce Banner. Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth both play their characters of Captain America and Thor as beings heavily unfamiliar with the society they're trying to save. I honestly can't be the only person that thinks Robert Downey, Jr. as Tony Stark is the best piece of casting in the last ten years. And I have to bring up Tom Hiddleston, who is slowly becoming a favorite of mine in recent memory. Anyone who can take a supposedly one-note role and give a layered performance is worthy of recognition.

If it wasn't clear enough, The Avengers is awesome. The nearly two and a half hour running time just flies by. The score by Alan Silvestri is fantastic. And this next line is going to get me killed, isn't it? (Ah, screw it.) Your move, Mr. Nolan.

My Rating: *****

6 comments:

  1. Well the Nolan trilogy is not very superhero-y. There are a lot of other elements there. Which is why I think The Avengers is the best superhero "superhero" movie ever.
    Great review. RDJesus is perfect casting, yes :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review and I thought Avengers was awesome as well. Going back to see it again today! I will be writing a review myself sometime today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nolan's film is going to be a lot different, but man my expectations of him have soared after seeing how great The Avengers is.

    I do recommend watching Captain American though, I think that would be right up your alley. It was really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nolan's move indeed. Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Loki/Tom Hiddleston, and I agree, he gave so much more to that part, even more layers than it should have. I loved his performance and my favorite scene is the Hulk/Loki one- I was laughing out loud, as the other cinema viewers were doing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.