Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Before Sunrise

I'll admit that I'm a cynic. I don't believe that love can form within a short time span. And yet at the same time, I'm a hopeful romantic. (My heart will ache if I see romance handled properly in fiction.)

Now Richard Linklater's Before Sunrise focuses on the very thing that I criticize yet it's handled in a very lovely manner. A film about two people simply talking to one another sounds boring to some. To others, it sounds perfect.

Starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, the film is simply quiet musing of a possible relationship coming to life. Physical attraction is not the main focus here. It's more about their shared beliefs of the world around them.

That's the other thing I liked about Before Sunrise. Their conversations didn't sound fake in the slightest. (Then again, it doesn't hurt that Hawke and Delpy had a hand in writing the script.) It's a simple thing like that I admire.

Anyway, Before Sunrise definitely managed to soften my cynical heart. It just goes to show you don't need a film full of sex scenes to make for a great love story. Man, am I looking forward to the next chapter of this story.

My Rating: *****

2 comments:

  1. Sigh I'm a cynic/hopeless romantic as well. Though I love the sequel more (and I saw that before this), Before Sunrise is just lovely and smart and gah this shit needs to happen to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it so much that I watched Before Sunset right after! I was surprised about how entrancing their conversation was, it really can't be easy to pull that off.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are appreciated. More so if they are appropriate.